- Classroom - Day 1 of 3
10/16 12-5pm 2851 S Parker Rd Tower 1 Lower Level Training Room, Aurora 80014
January 15, 2022
8:00 am - 1:30 pm
- Pool - Day 2 of 3
1/16 Pool 9:30am-5:30pm MACS, 3869 S Atchison Way, Aurora 80015
January 16, 2022
9:30 am - 5:30 pm
- Pool - Day 3 of 3
1/17 Pool 8am-4pm MACS, 3869 S Atchison Way, Aurora 80015
January 17, 2022
8:00 am - 4:00 pm
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Once enrolled, participants will begin their online training (approx 7 hours). Classroom (5 hours) & Water Skills (15 hours). This blended learning class is for those who want to get certified in the necessary rescue skills to become a lifeguard. This course is for first time participants as well as those American Red Cross lifeguards whose certification is more than 30 days expired, and lifeguards who need to transfer from other organizations (ie YMCA, BSA, Ellis, etc).
- Classroom skills session will be completed prior to swimming prerequisite exam. Students must be successful on the prerequisite exam prior to moving onto any water skill sessions.
- Classroom Session will be held at Safety Solved, 2851 S Parker Rd, Tower 1 Lower Level Conference Room, Aurora, CO 80014.
- Pool Sessions will be held at MACS, 3869 S Atchison Way, Aurora, CO 80015
Taking this class does not ensure you a lifeguard job after completion.
Students will complete the swimming prerequisites, water skills practice, and water skills final exam scenarios. It is highly recommended to review all the videos and chapter review questions prior to attending.
- Must be 15 years old by the end of the course; proof of age will be required on the first day.
- Candidates will have two opportunities to complete:
- Must complete a continuous 300 yard swim with rhythmic breathing using any combination of front crawl and breaststroke; Goggles allowed
- Must tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
- Must swim 20 yards, retrieve a 10 lb brick from a depth of 7-10 feet, swim 20 yards with the brick using legs only, and exit the pool without using a ladder or stairs within a minute and 40 seconds; Goggles NOT allowed.
- Rescue Mask Set – will receive at the Classroom Session
- Wear your swimsuit and face mask to the pool
- 2+ towels and swimsuit coverings/sweat clothes suggested, pool shoes/flip flops
- Rashguard or wetsuit highly suggested
- Goggles & swimcap suggested
- Meals/snacks/hydration in a lunchbox/cooler. No fridge is available to use.
- Camping chair
To Obtain Certification:
- Must successfully complete the course prerequisites
- Attend all class sessions (no exceptions)
- Demonstrate competency in all rescue skills
- Pass written exams with at least an 80%
- Demonstrate competency in all practical exams.
Successful lifeguard course participants will receive a 2 year Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certification after learning surveillance and rescue skills, how to prevent injuries, First aid training, professional rescuer CPR/AED, and Professional lifeguard responsibilities.
In order to continue to properly train lifeguards it is understood that portions of the curriculum require participants to be within 6 feet of each other, and for in water portions of the training masks are not feasible. Continuing this training will be essential to the safety of our community when pool begin to reopen, to the greatest extent possible requirements for physical distancing should be implemented.
The classes are approved provided the following can be met (and subject to be updated according to American Red Cross and local guidance);
- Participants and instructors are symptom checked per the State’s 20-28 Safer at Home Orders prior to the start of each day of training. Temperatures will be checked and a symptom questionnaire will be answered, including presence of cough and any other respiratory symptoms each day. Anyone showing signs of respiratory symptoms or a temperature of 100.4F or higher, or has been in close contact with someone experiencing these signs in the past 24 hours will not be admitted into the session.
- Participants understand and agree that portions of the training cannot occur with face coverings and may require being closer than six feet to other participants.
- Participants are may choose to wear a face mask to the classroom and pool as well as wear face coverings whenever within 6 feet of other participants, wherever it is practical to do so without endangering their safety, per the instructor’s directions.
- Detailed records will be kept for who participated in each class in the event case contact tracing becomes necessary
- Equipment is cleaned and sanitized between training sessions.
- Students are required to wear their swimsuit to the pool. There will not be an opportunity to change at the pool. Please shower prior to coming to the pool.
Classroom: Safety Solved – 2851 S Parker Rd, Tower 1, Lower Level, Aurora, CO 80014
Pool: MACS, 3869 S Atchison Way, Aurora, CO 80015