- Day 1 of 3
March 17, 2023
4:30 pm - 9:30 pm
- Day 2 of 3
March 18, 2023
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
- Day 3 of 3
March 19, 2023
9:00 am - 5:00 pm
American Red Cross Lifeguard Training
Once enrolled, participants will receive access to the online training (approx 7 hours), which is to be completed prior to the in person sessions: Classroom (approx 5 hours) & Water Skills (approx 15 hours). This blended learning class is for those who want to get certified in the necessary rescue skills to become a lifeguard. This course is for first time participants as well as those American Red Cross lifeguards whose certification is more than 30 days expired, and lifeguards who need to transfer from other organizations (ie YMCA, BSA, Ellis, etc).
- COVID UPDATES
- In order to continue to properly train lifeguards it is understood that portions of the curriculum require participants to be within 6 feet of each other, and for in water portions of the training masks are not feasible. Continuing this training will be essential to the safety of our community when pool begin to reopen, to the greatest extent possible requirements for physical distancing should be implemented.
- Classroom skills session may be completed prior to swimming prerequisite exam. Students must be successful on the prerequisite exam prior to moving onto any water skill sessions.
Taking this class does not ensure you a lifeguard job after completion.
Students will complete the swimming prerequisites, water skills practice, and water skills final exam scenarios. It is highly recommended to review all the videos and chapter review questions prior to attending.
- Must be 15 years old by the end of the course; proof of age will be required on the first day.
- Candidates will have two opportunities to complete:
- Must complete a continuous 300 yard swim with rhythmic breathing using any combination of front crawl and breaststroke; Goggles allowed
- Must tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
- Must swim 20 yards, retrieve a 10 lb brick from a depth of 7-10 feet, swim 20 yards with the brick using legs only, and exit the pool without using a ladder or stairs within a minute and 40 seconds; Goggles NOT allowed.
- Rescue Mask Set – will receive at the Classroom Session
- Wear your swimsuit and face mask to the pool
- 2+ towels and swimsuit coverings/sweat clothes suggested, pool shoes/flip flops
- Rashguard or wetsuit highly suggested
- Goggles & swimcap suggested
- Meals/snacks/hydration in a lunchbox/cooler. No fridge is available to use.
- Picture ID & Proof of Date of Birth – Day 1 only
To Obtain Certification:
- Must successfully complete the course prerequisites
- Attend all class sessions (no exceptions)
- Demonstrate competency in all rescue skills
- Pass written exams with at least an 80%
- Demonstrate competency in all practical exams.
Successful lifeguard course participants will receive a 2 year Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED certification after learning surveillance and rescue skills, how to prevent injuries, First aid training, professional rescuer CPR/AED, and Professional lifeguard responsibilities.
Venue: JCC Denver