Lifeguard & Instructor Certifications
Find Aquatics Resources
Do you need any forms, documents, or information about any of the courses below? View our aquatics resources!
This American Red Cross class is for those who want to get certified in the necessary rescue skills to become a lifeguard. This option is for those who have not previously taken a training, if your certification is more than 30 days expired, or if you need to change from another certifying organization.
In order to enroll, you must have an American Red Cross Lifeguard/CPR/AED/First Aid certification expired no more than 30 days. Certification will be verified.
Read More about Lifeguard Training and Recertification
- Surveillance and rescue skills, how to prevent injuries
- First aid training and professional rescuer CPR/AED
- Oxygen Administration training
- Professional lifeguard responsibilities
- Must complete a continuous 300 yard swim (any combination of freestyle and breaststroke); Goggles allowed
- Must tread water for 2 minutes using only legs.
- Must swim 20 yards, retrieve a 10 lb brick from a depth of 7-10 feet, swim 20 yards with the brick using legs only, and exit the pool without using a ladder or stairs within a minute and 40 seconds; Goggles NOT allowed.
Must be 15 years old by the end of the course. Proof of age will be required on the first day. Those under the age of 18 must bring a signed waiver found on the Aquatics Resources page on the first day.
Must attend all class sessions (no exceptions) and pass written and practical exams with at least an 80%. Lifeguarding/First Aid & CPR/AED 2 year certifications.
$220 includes the non-refundable deposit, electronic participant’s manual, rescue mask, and electronic certification cards. If you do not pass the pre-requisite swim, the $150 non-refundable deposit will only be assessed.
Recertification: $140 includes certification and PDF manual. Adult & Pediatric rescue masks are required and can be purchased for $15 prior to the pre-requisite class.
Please keep in mind that taking this class does not ensure you a lifeguard job after completion.
Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) Training
This American Red Cross certification will prepare instructor candidates to teach Lifeguarding, Shallow Water Lifeguarding, Waterfront Skills, Waterpark Skills, CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and Health Care Providers, Administering Emergency Oxygen and Bloodborne Pathogens Training: Preventing Disease Transmission courses and/or modules. Instructor candidates will also become familiar with Junior Lifeguarding, Lifeguard Management, Safety Training for Swim Coaches and Basic Water Rescue.
Lifeguard Instructor & Instructor Trainer review courses & basic level test out available.
Read More about Lifeguard Instructor (LGI) Training
- Be at least 17 years old on or before the last day of the instructor course (proof of age required) and possess a current American Red Cross for Lifeguarding/First Aid/CPR/AED.
- Successfully complete the online Orientation to the Red Cross and Lifeguarding course.
- Successfully complete the Precourse Session of water & land based rescue scenarios.
Certification: Valid for 2 years
To become certified as a Lifeguarding instructor, instructor candidates must:
■ Successfully complete the Online Session.
■ Successfully complete the Precourse Session.
■ Attend and actively participate in all course sessions.
■ Successfully complete class activities, including the four practice-teaching assignments.
■ Score a minimum of 80% on the instructor course final written exam.
Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Training
This American Red Cross certification will prepare instructor candidates to teach Parent Child lessons, Preschool Aquatics, Learn to Swim courses, Adult Swim Courses, water safety presentations, Safety Training for Swim Coaches, and Basic Water Rescue.
Read More about Water Safety Instructor (WSI) Training
Must complete the following at a minimum of a Learn to Swim Level 4
- 25 yards front crawl
- 25 yards back crawl
- 25 yards breaststroke
- 25 yards sidestroke
- 25 yards elementary backstroke
- 15 yards butterfly
- 2 minute tread water
- 2 minute back float
Must be 16 years old by the end of the course. Proof of age will be required on the first day. Those under the age of 18 must bring a signed waiver found on the Aquatics Resources page on the first day.
Certification: Valid for 2 years
$300 includes the non-refundable deposit, participant’s manual and PDF certification cards. If you do not pass the pre-requisite swim, the $150 non-refundable deposit will only be assessed.
Safety Training for Swim Coaches
This American Red Cross class is intended for swim coaches and swimming instructors and is delivered as a blended online training, with either an in water skills session or provide proof of a current lifeguard certification.
Read More about Safety Training for Swim Coaches
- Understand coaching conduct, swimmer safety, legal responsibilities, safety considerations for planning events in pools, on dry land or in open water
- Understand safety rules when teaching and practicing racing starts and head first entries
- How to use an emergency action plan
- Discuss common swimming injuries and causes, how to perform basic assists to distressed swimmers, and how to care for possible head, neck, or back injuries
Must complete the online course with American Red Cross prior to scheduled water session. Must be comfortable in chest deep water. For online only option, must possess current Lifeguard, Waterfront Lifeguard, Waterpark Lifeguard, Shallow Water Attendant, or Basic Water Rescue certifications.
15 and up
Must attend all class hours and pass written and practical exams with at least an 80%. Safety training for swim coaches valid for 3 years or until Lifeguard certification expires
Online Only Course Option
With proof of current Lifeguards, Waterfront Lifeguards, Waterpark Lifeguards, Shallow Water Attendants, or Basic Water Rescue: Complete the American Red Cross Online Course
Skill Session Price
$100 includes PDF participant manuals and PDF certification
This American Red Cross online class is for those who wish to gain the knowledge and skills to effectively manage the aquatic community and facilities. It is highly recommended that participants have either lifeguarding experience or management experience in another occupation.
Read More about Lifeguard Management Training
- Provides the knowledge and skills required to effectively manage lifeguards and to create an environment that keeps patrons, lifeguards and the aquatic facility safe
- This class will go over the responsibilities of a lifeguard supervisor, how to select and train lifeguards, team building, injury prevention, risk management, and emergency response planning
None. It is HIGHLY recommended that participants currently possess a lifeguarding/first aid certificate from the American Red Cross or another nationally recognized organization.
Age: 16 and up
Certification: Valid for 2 years
Price: $120 Includes PDF manual and digital certification
Note: There is no water time with this class. This class can be completed at your own pace online. For New York State students, please contact to schedule your required in person written exam.
Basic Water Rescue, Juinor Lifeguard, and Water Safety Presentations are available upon request. Please contact to schedule.
Read More about Additional Courses
Basic Water Rescue
This course is designed for aquatic fitness instructors and aquatic therapists. Includes certification; there are two optional manuals that can be purchased. Please contact to schedule.
- Recognize, respond, and prevent aquatic emergencies
- Perform self rescue skills
- Provide assistance to others with non swimming rescues
- Perform proper techniques for possible head, neck or back injuries
Pre-requisites: None but must be comfortable in chest deep water
Ages: 16 and up
Certification: Must attend all class hours and pass written and practical exams with at least an 80%. Basic water rescue valid for 3 years
Price: $100 includes PDF Certification
GuardStart: Lifeguarding Tomorrow
This certification is intended for youth ages 11-14 to require skills needed for future lifeguarding duties. Please contact to schedule.
- How to supervise around water, prevent drowning and diving accidents, and recognize when someone is in distress
- Improve swimming techniques and endurance in order to become a lifeguard
- Perform self rescues, assist others that are distressed in the water
- Provide basic first aid, CPR, AED
- Learn leadership skills, communication, teamwork, and informed decision making necessary to become a lifeguard
- Learn how to search and apply for a job and prepare for an interview
- 25 yards freestyle breathing to the front or side
- Tread water for 1 minute using arms and legs
- Swim 10 feet submerged underwater
Ages: 11 – 14
Certification: A certificate of attendance with no expiration issued at the end of the course.
Price: Includes participant’s manual and rescue mask.
Water Safety Presentations
Presentations intended for those wanting to learn more about safety in an informal setting and are customizable. Please contact to schedule for your group; pricing varies.
Longfellow’s Whale Tales: Available for elementary aged children. A participant certification can be issued.